Monday, March 17, 2008

Pros/Cons

The side supporting the legalization of Dimethyltryptamine has many good points. First, it has been used for centuries by various South American religions as a tool of worship, sacrament, or right of passage.It's scheduling prohibits certain people from practicing what they truly believe in. Secondly, it's psychedelic effects have been tested in providing insight into ones self to battle difficult things such as addictions. As the compound is secreted from the human brain, it poses very little to no heath risk in a user. Lastly, the banning of a compound present in all of us is absurd.

The side against legalization also has very strong points. First, it is a hallucinogenic compound, and its misuse could lead to endangering the lives of others. Secondly, in most oral DMT brews, a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) is present for the compound to take effect. MAOIs can cause serious health concerns if used incorrectly. A bad experience could possibly scar a user for life. Also, DMT, in some studies, have been linked to schizophrenia.

For my research I will be taking the pro side of the argument for many reasons. For one, I strongly believe that a compound that is present in the human brain should not be illegal. Secondly, the potential for psychoanalysis in certain cases is remarkable. I also believe that a religion should have the right to use any ethenogen that their beliefs demand. In short, if its in all of our brains, how bad could it be?

6 comments:

Mr.Linus said...

You've provided full support for both sides of the argument. On the pro side, be careful to not jump to conclusions such as, "As the compound is secreted from the human brain, it poses very little to no heath risk in a user." All psychotropic drugs deal with chemicals in the brain, usually dopamine. How much a drug imbalances the natural chemical state of the brain effects the amount of damage. Seeing how much DMT is found in a "hit" and how that changes the chemistry would be important to explore.

Steve said...

I really like your topic. Being interested in the brain myself, I think that this is a very interesting situation. I like the way you presented both sides, sticking mainly to the pure facts. I also agree with you on your position, although I can understand where the other side is coming from. Maybe a compromise would be good, where extra amounts of the substance can only be prescribed by doctors, just to make sure it is not abused. But I think you've got a good topic. Peace, Stephen C

Unknown said...

I agree with Steve and Mr. Linus. But I would like to hear from someone who has taken (DMT). Also how would you ingest the (DMT). is it a pill, do you smoke it, or do you eat it like mushrooms?

rocketbass8 said...

I have smoked DMT 3 times now, and have to say it is one of the cleanest "drugs" I've ever taken. There are very intense visuals and body feelings for about 5-10 mins before you start to mellow and come down. The "trip" is far more visual than mental, however there is still a strong mental element. I can't recommend trying it if you're nervous about it. I researched for about 2 years before trying and had a very positive feeling towards it, which I truely believe made my experience more enjoyable. Do your research before you try ANYTHING... I can't stress this enough. A good experience for one isn't a gurantee for another. Be responsible and we all can have hopes for legalization.

M Hussy said...

One of my friend is using it, he had a good effect as of now, but i believe any chemical we(normal healthy people) use, it will always change something inside us physiologically, it disturbs our natural balance inside. So a careful research is always necessary before using such drugs (even though beneficial one) because its not naturally inside us or needed for natural metabolic activity(its a luxury :))

M Hussy said...

One of my friend is using it, he had a good effect as of now, but i believe any chemical we(normal healthy people) use, it will always change something inside us physiologically, it disturbs our natural balance inside. So a careful research is always necessary before using such drugs (even though beneficial one) because its not naturally inside us or needed for natural metabolic activity(its a luxury :))